The Best Way to Make an Invoice for Cleaning Services 
December 13, 2022
The hours you spend making an invoice for cleaning services are not billable. You must create this legal document as quickly and efficiently as possible while ensuring you don’t forget any details and your invoice looks professional.
So, how do you make this important document without wasting too much time? If you want to find out, you’ve come to the right place!
This article will explain everything you need about invoices for cleaning services and show you how to create them effortlessly with an online generator.
Let’s dive right in!
What is an Invoice for Cleaning Services?
If you want to ensure you get paid on time by your clients as a housecleaning service contractor, you need to provide them with an invoice. Among other things, this document outlines the payment terms and breaks down the services you provide for the agreed-upon price.
You can create an invoice either manually or by using an online generator. However, the former method can be quite time-consuming, and you can easily make some mistakes that can cost you a lot.
The best way to make an invoice for cleaning services is to use an online generator. It’s easy to use, and on top of that, with it, you’ll be able to:
- Easily keep track of all the records of your transactions
- Stay organized and avoid overdue payments
- File your taxes and fill out the W-2 form easier every year
- Take notes of any debts or late payments
- Maintain your bookkeeping effortlessly
What to Include in Your Invoice for Cleaning Services
Now that you know why an invoice for cleaning services is important, you should know which information to include in it. Although the details that go in an invoice vary from business to business, there are certain sections you have to fill out, such as:
#1. Company and Client Information
First and foremost, you need to enter your business name, address, phone number, and logo in the top-right corner of the invoice. Although a logo isn’t a must-have, it is certainly a big plus, as it can help you stand out and be remembered by clients.
Secondly, you must fill in your client’s information, including their name, address, contact information, etc.
#2. Unique Invoice Number and Date
Next, you must add the date to your invoice and give it a unique number. This number is extremely important, as it’s required by law in some states, and you might encounter clients who won’t accept your invoice without it.
A properly numbered invoice is also really easy to track when the time to file tax comes. So, be sure to number your invoices chronologically and start from 001 if it’s your first client. On top of that, you can add the last two numbers of the year the invoice is issued in.
For example, if you’re making an invoice for 2022, take the last two numbers, and add them to 001, so it looks something like this: 22001.
#3. Breakdown of Your Services
Now, you need to include a list of your services so your client can clearly understand what they’re paying you for. If you’re offering cleaning services, you can include things like:
- Mopping floors
- Cleaning baseboards
- Shelving and surfacing
- Cleaning windows and blinds
Be sure to be as specific as possible in this section and enter a set rate for every item. Once you have a list of your services, add the total amount your client owes you.
#4. Payment Details
In this section of your invoice for cleaning services, you need to state whether you want to be paid in cash or via credit cards, PayPal, direct bank transfer, etc. You also need to specify when you want to be paid and whether you’re offering any discounts.
Make sure to accept as many payment methods as possible, and don’t forget to add taxes.
#5. Thank You Note
Last but not least, you should give your invoice for cleaning service a friendly tone by adding a simple “thank you” in the “Additional Notes” section. Even though it’s a little detail, some clients might appreciate it.
Best Practices for Cleaning Services Invoicing
Invoicing isn’t just about filling out blanks and listing the specifics regarding the job you’ve been contracted for. To ensure everything goes according to plan, you should make sure to:
- Track the hours worked. One of the most important things you should do as a housecleaning service contractor is to track the hours you’ve worked so that you can mention them in your invoice. This will help you justify your rates and charges, as your client will have a better idea about what they’re paying for.
- Establish clear payment terms. If you want to get paid on time, you need to set clear payment terms with your client. Be as specific as possible when it comes to the payment date, the total amount they owe you, etc. This way, there will be no room for misunderstandings, and you’ll ensure clear communication with the client.
- Market your services. One of the best ways to market your cleaning services is to use your invoice for this purpose. Make sure you customize your invoice and make it stand out by adding a logo or using a unique combination of fonts and colors. While this may seem like an irrelevant step, it can actually make you look more professional than your competitors.
- Proofread your invoice. Lastly, you should always make sure that your invoice for cleaning services doesn’t contain any grammatical or spelling errors. Additionally, you should also double-check each piece of information you added to the invoice to see if everything is correct.
How to Make an Invoice for Cleaning Services With an Online Generator
If you don’t want to waste any time on paperwork, you should use an online generator and get an invoice for cleaning services in no time.
We will provide you with an invoice template, which you can fill out every time you complete work without worrying about missing any important details. The best part about it is that you can use it repeatedly, staying consistent and providing your clients with professional-looking invoices.
Our online generator is super simple to use, and all you have to do to make an invoice is:
- Fill in the required fields in the template with your and your client’s information
- Review your document and check whether every piece of information has been correctly entered
- Download the invoice in PDF form
Once you’re done, you’ll instantly be able to send the invoice to your clients via email or print it out and send it to them via mail.
Invoice for Cleaning Services FAQ
#1. Should you include VAT in your invoice for cleaning services?
Value-added tax (VAT) is a type of tax that all businesses have to pay if they have an annual turnover above $85,000. Although you could add the VAT to your invoice for cleaning services, the best document to use for this purpose would be a tax invoice.
#2. When is the best time to send an invoice for cleaning services?
The best time to send an invoice for cleaning services would be as soon as you complete the job you’ve been contracted for. As a rule of thumb, you shouldn’t wait longer than 48 hours. If it is a bigger job, you should send an advance invoice.
#3. When should your client pay you for your cleaning services?
Usually, you should wait for your client to pay you for your cleaning services within two weeks of the service date. If they are late with the payment, you can send them a follow-up letter and remind them that they owe you money.
#4. What should an invoice for cleaning services include?
Typically, an invoice for cleaning services should include your company’s and your client’s contact information, a breakdown of your services, payment terms, and a thank you note.
Even as an independent cleaner, you cannot avoid paperwork. You must provide your clients with appropriate invoices if you want to get paid adequately and on time. And, fortunately, you can make this important document hassle-free nowadays!
If you don’t want to waste your time making an invoice for cleaning services from scratch, use an online generator, and we’ll provide you with this legal paper in no time!
- An invoice for cleaning services is a legal document that you, as an independent cleaner, need to provide your clients with.
- Typically, an invoice for cleaning services includes your and your client’s contact information, unique number, breakdown of services provided, and payment terms.
- When invoicing as a cleaner, you should track the hours worked, market your services, and proofread your invoice.
- The easiest and most efficient way to make an invoice for cleaning services is to use an online generator.